Monday, January 31, 2011

Coq au Vin

Coq au Vin is a dish I always imagine as "fancy." I had the dish on my menu several times over the past year, but never got around to making it. I had some chicken thighs leftover from chicken tandoori and thought I needed to slow cook those bad boys. After some Google-ing, I found a slow cooker version on my go-to Slow Cooker blog.

The only thing I took exception to in the whole recipe was the call for "cheap red wine" in the recipe. My inner Ina Garten is having convulsions over that statement. I used a "red wine I would drink with dinner." I also used some butternut squash instead of carrots. It was melt-in-your-mouth squash. Yum! A good substitution - if you ask me!

It was a pleasant change to the usual, rich slow cooker meal. Plus, it was fancy enough to serve to guests! And, it it fantastic as leftovers!





Coq au Vin
from Stephanie's A Year of Slow Cooking


6 to 8 frozen chicken thighs
6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
1/2 butternut squash, cubed into bite-sized pieces (or 1 cup baby carrots)
1 chopped yellow onion
3 cloves chopped or minced garlic
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup red wine
2 large fresh thyme sprigs


Cook bacon. Chop up and set aside. Dump the frozen chicken into your slow cooker and start layering in the rest of the ingredients in no particular order.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. You could cook it on high for 4 if you're in a hurry, but it won't taste as good. Serve with mashed potatoes or your favorite pasta.

No comments: