Monday, November 7, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding

When I was growing up, my mom made German pancakes for dinner - always a family favorite! I believe the recipe was one that came with her stand mixer instruction book (I never look in backs of those booklets, but I guess good stuff can come from those things!). Everyone got a pie pan full of an oven-puffed pancake. And, it was always served with warm, cinnamony applesauce. 

One of my favorite food blogs (This Week for Dinner - where I stay accountable for posting a weekly menu!) featured Yorkshire Pudding a while back. I hadn't heard of it before, but once I saw what it looked like, I knew exactly what we were talking about! And, could the preparation be any easier????

The traditional British ways of serving Yorkshire Pudding is as a savory dish with a pan gravy sauce. It may be the "pregnancy nose" talking, but that does not sound like a good time. Since I have a love affair with all things cranberry, I decided to serve it with a chilled, whole cranberry sauce. For me, the tart cranberries are a good contrast to the slightly sweet oven pancake.





Yorkshire Pudding
from This Week for Dinner



Blend in a blender:
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt

Place 4 tablespoons butter in the oven in a 9″ x 13″ pan until just starting to brown.

Pour the blended ingredients directly into the hot pan.

Bake at 450 for 25ish minutes.

No comments: