Sunday, October 2, 2016

Chana Masala

I fell in love with chana masala when we went to our local Indian restaurant in Illinois. So, I went to one of my go-to blogs for a chana masala recipe. Smitten Kitchen did not fail to deliver! I usually serve the chana masala over rice. However, in my rush making making dinner tonight, I forgot to make the rice. In a panic, I made some elbow noodles and served the chana masala over them. No harm done. It turned out great.

The spices in this recipe are a bit numerous and fussy. I made up a "chana masala" blend that I keep in my pantry. Now I use it for chana masala, quinoa, and rice pilaf when I'm in the mood for an Indian flavor. I also whipped up some naan bread while the chana masala was simmering on the stovetop (I had planned ahead for that one!). And, voila! We had the perfect meal!


Chana Masala
from Smitten Kitchen


 2 medium onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 fresh, hot green chili pepper, minced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 15-ounce can of whole tomatoes with their juices, chopped small
2/3 cup water
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lemon (juiced)

1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger and pepper and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Turn heat down to medium-low and add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, cumin seeds, paprika and garam masala. Cook onion mixture with spiced for a minute or two.
3. Add the tomatoes and any accumulated juices, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the pan. Add the water and chickpeas.
4. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, then stir in salt and lemon juice.

No comments: