Focaccia in an hour flat. Yes please. This is a great side dish to a Sunday dinner. After proofing the dough in a 220º oven, you cook the bread at 400º - perfect temperature to throw in with roasting vegetables or a chicken!
I swap out half the flour for whole wheat flour. When I do that, I do so in Step 5 - when you're adding in enough flour to make a consistent dough ball. I've found I only need 3/4 cup of the whole wheat flour....TOPS.
This bread is a perfect use for my cast iron grill pan. I don't use it often, but it's perfect here. I do oil it generously with cooking spray, and there is no stick when removing the bread. Because the bottom of the pan is textured, the bottom of the bread develops a nice crust.
I have made this bread many times, but this is the first time I've had enough time to take a picture before it's been devoured!
from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
¾ c warm water
1 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 c all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted or salted butter, melted
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Turn off the oven once pre-heated and keep the door closed.
- Grease the skillet.
- Place water and yeast in large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of flour, salt, and oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add the remaining cup of flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (between 3/4 and 1 cup flour).
- Place dough onto a floured surface shape into a ball.
- Roll out the dough into a size of your skillet.
- Place in skillet and stretch up the sides. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and mix in Parmesan and seasoning.
- Take the skillet out of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Make indentations in the dough with your fingers.
- Brush the dough with half the butter.
- Place skillet with dough in the preheated oven and bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter. Let cool until safe to the touch and slice. Serve.