Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Slice of Bread

Last week I posted about making my first loaf of edible bread. But, it was a little dense and it lacked a little something. I didn't know what the King Arthur flour people meant by "Baker's Special Dry Milk." Yes, I know: Bakers everywhere are scoffing. I tried another loaf of bread with 1/4 cup of my Vital Wheat Gluten, instead. I think it's funny they sell a box of gluten in the organic aisle next to all the gluten-free products and rice or barley flour! It. Was. Awesome! The gluten helped the bread rise much higher and the resulting bread loaf was SO GOOD!

But, I did run into another snag. I tried to slice up my loaf of bread, but the pieces looked so ragged and uneven. I knew enough to use a serrated knife, but that's about it! How can you enjoy a sandwich of homemade bread if you can't cut a decent slice of bread?!

I mean seriously. How embarrassing. I can't figure out how to successfully slice up a loaf of bread! I felt ridiculous Googling "how to slice homemade bread for sandwiches." Not to disappoint, The Googler found several dozen blogs for me to read. Several people suggested electric knives, but I found success in the simple technique of not putting any pressure on the knife, using a sawing motion and being vigilant to keep an even slice going with the knife.

I think we have a winner!

No comments: