Monday, August 15, 2011

CSA Goodness

One of my 2011 New Year's Resolutions was to increase our veggie intake by joining a CSA. Well, I finally got off my butt. Apparently, it was just too hard to manage in the first half of the year! :)

One of our friends in our Bible Study group runs a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) in the Daytona area. They buy fresh, organic, locally grown produce, assemble baskets, then deliver the produce to their customers. Unfortunately, they do not operate in the Jacksonville area. But, she pointed us to several companies that do serve our area! We chose Palmetto Organics. They have a lot of options for the size of the basket as well as a weekly or bi-weekly delivery option. Since I didn't want to be overwhelmed at first, we chose the "Small Harvest" delivered bi-weekly. All we have to do is leave a cooler with ice packs on the porch and we have fantastic produce ready for dinner!

Shelby really likes opening the cooler and bringing the veggies in the house. After we lay them out on the counter, she gets her camera and takes a picture.....just like Mommy!

This was our second basket. And, it has a lot of great fruits and veggies. I'm kind of a nerd, but I rub my hands together and channel my inner-chef to incorporate them into our meals for the week! I'm looking forward to a rhubarb crisp, a greenbean/celery salad, and some roasted garlic mushrooms. Yum!!!



No comments: