Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Post Modern Procrastination

I left work tonight really feeling like I accomplished something at work. I checked a bunch of items off my list. I creatd some new procedures for reconciling full-goods inventories. And, yes, "super-nerd" is, in fact, hyphenated.

And then I came home, and Scott pointed me to a new blog he's reading. Upon scanning the blog, I came across this post about procrastination.

Laziness in a white collar job has nothing to do with avoiding hard physical labor. “Who wants to help me move this box!” Instead, it has to do with avoiding difficult (and apparently risky) intellectual labor.

"Honey, how was your day?"

"Oh, I was busy, incredibly busy."

"I get that you were busy. But did you do anything important?"

Busy does not equal important. Measured doesn't mean mattered.



While it was funny, it kinda deflated my proud-of-myself bubble! Then I remembered an older supervisor who trained me when I first started in Merrimack. He said,

"Walk really fast and write on a clipboard while you walk. Everyone will think you're really busy." And, that just cracked me up! The sad part is that it works.

At work this week, an Instant Messaging service was installed on our computers under the guise that it would "improve productivity." I have found it quite useful for finding out what time my friends will be in the cafeteria or asking what time the post office across the street opens. But, I do love the fact that I can desk stalk people. If they're not answering their phone, but their availability shows they are at their desk, I go on a stalking mission! Bwahaha!

No comments: