Shelby is on a "vegetables at home" strike*. She only wants o-mo (oatmeal) and fish (for which she makes a fish face to indicate her want). But, this girl loves her some red meat!! I have the week off of work, a 5-lb tray of ground meat from Costco**, and a new kitchen that's begging to be my laboratory.
Since I know she'll eat meatballs everyday, I decided it's time to play the hide-the-veggies-in-foods-I-like game. There is a sacred Benjamin/Caruana meatball recipe that I hold dear to my heart. My Grandma made these meatballs and they are to die for. I added 2 cups of pureed peas (and a bit more bread crumb) to the original recipe, and they were GREAT!!!!! Shelby certainly didn't know the difference (even though they are pretty green on the inside). I think this change may be permanent. Hey! Who couldn't use another serving of vegetables in their day?!
1 lb ground chuck or turkey
1 1/4 c bread crumbs
1t salt & pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 eggs, beaten
2 c green peas, cooked and pureed
1. Boil peas for 6 minutes. The softer the better.
2. Puree peas until smooth. Some lumps are okay, but try to get most of the big ones out.
3. Mix all ingredients together.
4. Form balls. I get about 30 balls (slightly smaller than golf balls). I find the smaller the ball, the quicker they cook up in your pan.
5. Brown in skillet of 1/4" hot oil until cooked through rolling every couple minutes to make sure cooked evenly.
* According to her teacher, she eats her veggies at lunch. She must know Mama & Dad are pushovers....
** Other dishes I made: Stuffed Peppers for the freezer, Meatloaf (x2), & lasagna.
***I can't decide whether it should be "Green Meatballs" or "Goose Surprise Meatballs." Just look at the picture....you'll understand.