Monday, March 14, 2011

A Lesson in Patience

I got a summons to report for Jury Duty. It was my first Call to Duty - in Illinois, New Hampshire or Florida! So, I went to the Courthouse along with 400 of my fellow Duval County citizens.

My iPod was loaded up with music and podcasts and I had a new novel that had my rapt attention. But, even those diversions weren't enough to battle the mind-numbing boredness of waiting in an uncomfortable, straight-backed chair for 6 hours waiting to see if I had been selected for one of the 25 trials. As the time ticked by, I was almost begging to be picked so I could move to a different room!

Well, I was eventually released from duty...they had all the jurors they needed for the week! Part of me was relieved that I didn't have to go back for more hurry-up-and-wait. But, the other part of me felt like I was in elementary school, they were picking kickball teams and I was the last kid on the wall waiting to get picked!

No comments: