Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Roasted Squash and Potato Soup

I love soup. And, I love making soup. But living in Florida where it's too hot to eat anything but ice cream cold salads for 6 months out of the year, we don't get to eat a lot of soup. But, then, this fall, the planets aligned: the weather dropped below 80 degrees and I got sweet potatoes and butternut squash in my CSA basket! So, I searched my favorite food blogs for a tasty soup with my fresh veggies.

When I was cooking the stock and roasted veggies on the stove top, I was concerned it would be too thin and had plans to add some milk before serving. Oh, me of little faith! After I blended up the stock and veggies, I was left with a very thick soup that would do just fine as the star of a dinner. This soup is very filling and is phenomenal with a nice, crusty bread on the side. It's almost sweet after you've caramelized those veggies in the oven, and was complemented nicely with a generous sprinkling of parmesan over the top.



Roasted Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup

1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans low sodium vegetable broth (15 oz.)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a large baking sheet add the chopped butternut squash, sweet potato, and carrot. Drizzle with olive oil and toss the veggies to make sure they are all coated with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Stirring every 15 minutes or so. Remove the veggies from the oven and set aside.

2. In a large soup pot, add the olive oil. Add in the onion. Cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the roasted veggies. Cook for five minutes.
4. Add in the vegetable broth and water. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper. Stir.

5. Let the soup cook for 20 minutes.
6. Puree the soup with a hand held blender. If you don't have one, transfer soup to a blender and puree in batches.
7. Serve the soup hot.

No comments: