Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pulled Pork

On Thursday, we made pulled pork for dinner (sorry, no pictures....too hungry!). I never really understood where the term "Pulled" Pork came from until Thursday. When I wielded a fork in either hand and shredded that cut of meat like Edward Scissorhands, I realized it was the most appropriate name for the dish.

Here was the inspiration of the recipe: Barbecue Pork Sandwiches. I discovered this site on The Google looking for a recipe that didn't have 17 ingredients. It dawned on me that I didn't have to make the BBQ sauce from scratch , and simplified the process greatly. On a weeknight when we're rushing to get dinner on the table, making my own BBQ sauce goes out the window!

I liked this recipe because of the simplicity. And, this site has a very helpful feature: you can enter how many servings you wish to make, and the recipe amounts are adjusted accordingly. Don't shake your head disapprovingly! Illinois public education did teach me fractions and basic arithmetic, but it's always nice to be lazy (It also taught me multi-variable calculus and quantum physics, but I could not find a use for them in this recipe)!

Serves: 3-4

2 pound (approx.) Pork Roast
1 package onion soup mix
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
BBQ sauce of your choosing (we like Sweet Baby Ray's - pretty tangy with a hint of brown sugar)

Directions:

Trim as much fat off the the pork roast as possible. Place in the crockpot. Mix package of soup mix with cup of water and pour over roast. Leave in crockpot for 8 hours on low. Take most of the juices out of crockpot leaving about 1/2 cup.

Shred pork roast with two forks and pour Barbecue sauce over. Stir and let it warm up about 10 minutes. Serve on Hamburger Buns or Steak Rolls with cheese slices.

No comments: