Saturday, October 15, 2011

Meatless Mondays

On the food blogs I follow, I have read a lot about Meatless Mondays. I've always thought dismissively, "well, that's nice." I've also been reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food." And he has really shamed me and challenged me to eat less meat/dairy and more whole grains/veggies for ethical and health reasons.

Most recently I read that by cutting meat out of one meal a week, it's the carbon-footprint-reducing equivalent of driving a Prius! Being an engineer with a data/numbers mind, that made me pay attention. Really? It can make that much of a difference? But, how do you execute that on a daily basis when you've been working all day and don't have a lot of time?! And, how do you fill up your vegetarian-skeptical family? When I talked to Scott about it, the business-mind in him asked, "Isn't the meat you already have just a sunk cost?" This is what I'm dealing with, people.

 I looked back over my last month's menus and was shocked to see how many meatless meals we were already eating: Stuffed Shells, Corn Cheddar Frittata, Eggplant Parmesan!

I can really do this! And, now that we're getting the CSA basket every other week, it's really forcing me to branch out and find ways to use these veggies. I'm so glad that my favorite recipe blogs are making it easy to cook delicious vegetarian recipes! Now, I think I'm making a point to serve at least one meatless meal a week.

No comments: