Saturday, May 22, 2010

Homemade Pizza

We love pizza. We've had it twice in a week before without blinking an eye. A DiGiorno has been our go-to-we-don't-feel-like-cooking meal. Pioneer Woman had a recipe for California Pizza Kitchen BBQ chicken pizza with homemade dough. We cooked. We ate. We loved!

If I had known the dough recipe was so easy, I would have been making this on my own years ago! the only problem was that the bottom of the pizza was never crispy enough for my liking - always a little mushy.

Scott sent me this article from the NYT on homemade pizzas. Foodies everywhere are sounding off on the best way to make a pizza at home. I didn't put two and two together to realize that high heat is the best thing for a pizza. Using the cleaning cycle to prepare food is definitely a creative use of the stove (and not necessarily one I'd jump to use!)! This week I put the sheet pan on the very lowest rack in the oven (almost touching the heating element), and cooked the thing on 475 for 18 mins. It was perfect! The crust was crunchy and the cheese was bubbly and almost charred (like at the pizzeria).

I have the other half of the dough recipe in my freezer just waiting for the next chance to make some!!!

No comments: