Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes Redux

Pumpkin pancakes. They are a staple in our menu rotation. And, they are one of my favorite go-to meals. These pancakes are actually requested by my family! And, this recipe fits in perfectly with my quest to hide vegetables.

For some reason, I have issues finding the canned pumpkin in Publix during the off-season. I gave up on it this spring as one of those foods only found during the holidays (like the elusive cranberry.....I miss them)*. So, I froze some pureed butternut squash in 1-cup patties. *

These pancakes are just awesome!! I upped the pureed vegetable to 1 cup. You can add any spices you would find in pumpkin pie or gingerbread. In my book: the more spices, the better! You will never be able to eat regular pancakes. They'll seem so plain in comparison.


This pancake was my first attempt at the ever popular Mickey Pancake!


Pumpkin Pancakes
from Jane Maynard at This Week for Dinner

- 3c buttermilk pancake mix
- 2c cold water
- 2/3c canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom


In a medium/large bowl, whisk all the ingredients until just blended. Spray heavy griddle or skillet with nonstick spray and heat griddle over medium heat. Spoon 1/3c measure of batter unto griddle to form each pancake. Cook until edges are drying and bubbles start to pop, turn and cook a few minutes longer.


* Never fear. I have since found the canned pumpkin year-round in the canned fruit aisle!

No comments: